Friday, February 26, 2010

Stepping in the Light



I remember growing up we used to sing the song "Stepping in the Light." The gist of the song was about trying to walk in the steps of the Savior. (complete lyrics can be found here) That song became very real to me this past Saturday. I went on a hike in about 8-10 inch deep snow. I came to a crossroads where I wasn't sure which direction to go, but I saw a set of footprints and followed that path. Occasionally, I'd step out of the footprints and make my own path, which made the next step very difficult. All the way up I kept thinking, Jesus has made a path for us and hasn't made it easy, but He's made it easier if we just follow in His steps.

It's beginning to feel like the only thing I blog about is the snow--well today is no different. EXCEPT, This big snow missed us! whoo hooo! That doesn't mean we haven't got any snow, but we aren't getting the 20+ inches. But we are getting sustained 25+ mph of wind with gusts up to 50. I had to get out this morning and it is blowing the snow everywhere. It was cool to see. I posted a video on youtube and you can see it here.

Our new quarter is approaching with only one week left in the current quarter. On Wednesday night we will finish our study of Ecclesiastes. I've really enjoyed that class and I think they have as well. It's challenged me to re-think about my outlook on life. Often my priorities end up on the wrong thing. Not on bad things per se, but not on the best thing. I taught this book with Richard Chinnis back last summer and it's amazing how much more I've learned this time through. It's been a good study for me.

And this Sunday I'll be teaching Scott's class. Scott is going to be in Russelville, AL starting Sunday in a meeting, so he asked me to teach his class. Most times teaching someone else's class is difficult, but not EXTREMELY difficult, to me this class falls into EXTREMELY difficult. The nature of the class lends to this. It is a class for us college-aged/young adults where we get to ask questions that we would like answers to, to better be able to help others see the truth. And so the question this week is "Where did we get the idea of the Trinity? Why do we consider the Father, the Christ and the Holy Spirit to be three parts of a whole?" I'm not sure there is a tougher question! One thing I am certain of is this: we'll never know all the answers here on earth. So we are going to tackle this subject as best as possible.

Next quarter I'll be teaching a Bible foundations class to newer converts or anyone wanting to brush up on the basics. I'm really excited about this class.

Recently, I've been thinking a lot about personal responsibility and bc of that last week's sermon dealt with taking personal responsibility for sin. Often we want to be like Adam and Eve and blame someone else, but we have the power to rule over our sin (Gen 4:7). Someone may be in the wrong and encourage us to do wrong, but that does not excuse us. This a lesson that I really needed.

This week it's looking like I'm going to be preaching on "The Heart of God's Worshipers" looking at his aspect from John 4. But it is only Friday and things are subject to change. I didn't do a good job this month laying out my sermons in advance. I'll get another shot in a few days.

Some of you have asked me about the young lady we had invited to the Mark study with us. Well, she was there this Sunday night and plans to be back again this Sunday. Also, I was at one of the grocery stores this morning where I had a put up a bulletin about reading the Bible together...And about 5 of the slots with my name, phone number & e-mail were gone. But I have received no calls or e-mails, so I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm hoping that people are looking at them daily and trying to work up enough courage to call or e-mail. Please pray for this endeavor.

Thanks again for all of your prayers, e-mails, facebook & twitter comments. They are very encouraging.

God bless,

Wes

1 comment:

  1. Very cool post man. I like the metaphor you came to see. We've definitely got some good stuff outta ur wed classes. Coughunderthesuncough.

    ReplyDelete